Friday, April 27, 2012

Multiple abilities!

Our game is going well, most of the code needed for alpha is already written and working. We only have two artist so that was definitely delaying the development pipeline, they have to do a lot since it's a videogame and obviously the visuals are one of the main hooks.
There was so much stuff to do on the art side so I had to help there, we didn't have a level so I worked with Josh (our game designer) on laying down what we needed for the first/tutorial level of out game. He had a good idea of what he wanted the player to experience in this first level but we had to polish a lot of the specific tasks to do this. 
I had been working on the code before so I knew what we were capable of doing with the code that we already had, this made it easier because we could present our different features as much as possible, that way people will actually notice good advance and find the fun of the game.
After deciding the tasks the player need to do I started modeling the different art assets in order for this to work. A lot of testing had to be made together with this, I had no problem modeling the level and then testing it in Unity, even when the importing process is really simple, making sure assets work before committing them is very important (hopefully all artists know this).
I modeled the entire terrain for the first level, including mountains, rivers, etc. I knew different specifications needed for it so that made it simple enough for me. I tried to do it as organized and fun as possible, that way the players would understand what they were expected to do and how they were expected to do it. 
At this point we have a game, with good interactivity, scoring system and a winning state!

No comments:

Post a Comment