Sunday, December 16, 2012

What's next

During the Open House we got some really good feedback, looks like our main target (kids) really like our game, a lot of people played our game but definitely kids loved it!
On the other hand a couple of fellow engineers asked me a few questions about what was happening on the back end, what were we doing with some systems in the game and why did we decide to do it that way. After thinking about what I told them that night I also came out with a few easy solutions that will make the game run much smoother and improve the gameplay a lot.

On the other hand, there is still some work to be done on the look of the game, I would like to finally get some time with the level and start modifying the lighting, as I've said before, I don't really know what I am looking for but based on the experiments I have been doing with it I feel like I am going in the right direction!
During one of our early meetings this semesters the team decided to go for an 'expericne' type of gameplay rather than a procedurally generated level generation. This can be good but bad at the same time because I end up having to work with very geometry heavy levels that have most of the fill props being hand placed (but all static) which gives me no common patterns and no repetition, this makes my life horrible when I have to work with the lighting, everything seems to be just random.

Next semester we will keep working on making our game shine like a little kid singing opera! Now that we have all systems in place and most of us have a better understanding of the pipeline and times required for different tasks, we will have a much smoother development process.

No comments:

Post a Comment